Many people consider their home the safest place in their lives. However, there are hazards that we might not recognize until it is too late. Following are some tips on how to stay healthy and happy in your home.

Prevent Falls

Check all places where there can be a rise in the floor, including loose tiles, doorways, and places where the carpets come together. Make sure to smooth those areas or make them easily recognized in order to protect your family from falls in the house. Clean all spills immediately, and if you cannot do it right away, then cover them with towels to warn the others about slippery floors. Move obstacles away from doorways and walkways and put electrical cords away from traffic areas. When working on something, stand on a stable ladder instead of using a chair.

Prevent Fire

Make sure your home has a smoke alarm installed on every floor. Test the smoke alarms monthly and change batteries every year. Even if your smoke alarm does not alert you about having to change a battery, do it regardless to decrease the risk of fire damage. Check that all electrical wires and cords are moved away from traffic areas and are not hidden under rugs. If you have appliances that you use rarely, keep them unplugged. When in the kitchen, turn off the oven and stovetops after use immediately.

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a hazard that you may overlook, but by taking several preventative measures, you can make sure your family is safe. Check all appliances in the house to determine if they are installed and functioning properly. Have a professional evaluate flues, chimneys, and heating systems on a yearly basis. Have carbon monoxide alarms installed in your house and check them regularly. However, do not rely solely on the alarm, but check your appliances and maintain them as you normally would. Never burn charcoal or turn on a power generator in an enclosed space to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Prevent Mold

Mold can produce toxins and lead to such respiratory tract symptoms as coughing or wheezing. Because mold grows in humid environments, use air conditioner or dehumidifier in hot months and keep your carpets dry, or opt for hard floors instead of carpeting. If a mold problem develops in your house, you can have a professional clean it or you can clean it on your own, depending on how severe the problem is.

Prevent Dust Mites

Dust mites live in warm and humid environments and they carry similar dangers to mold. Many people develop hay fever reactions while asthmatics may experience an increase in asthma symptoms. Waking up with stuffy nose and itchy eyes may be a sign of a dust mite problem. Allergies caused by dust mites can be treated with medications, but a few measures can help you rid your home of dust mites. Wash your bedding on a regular basis, use anti-allergy mattress cover and mattress, avoid moisture in your bedding by airing out your duvet or comforter, clean your home regularly, and use air conditioner or dehumidifier during hot months.